48-hour bandh along national highway in Manipur
Imphal: A 48-hour bandh called by state`s taxi association in protest against the killing of a driver by militants, has affected the traffic along the Manipur portion of NH-39, officials said on Sunday.
Manipur State Taxi Service Association (MSTSA) has called the bandh from 6 pm yesterday along the National Highway-39 connecting Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati, they said.
Reports from the districts said transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states were cancelled today in view of the bandh.
Officials said Manipur-bound trucks with essential items may enter the state only after the bandh was over because security to escort them could not be sent earlier.
Manas Ali, hailing from Sukhajan village in Assam`s Karbi Along district, was recently killed by militants who reportedly demanded Rs 15 lakh from the owner of the taxi driven by Ali, an MSTSA spokesman said.
The spokesman appealed to the public to support the MSTSA-sponsored bandh along the highway so that the attention of the authorities could be drawn to prevent occurrence of such killings in future.
Official sources said Ali was kidnapped by suspected militants who hired his taxi to go to Dimapur in Nagaland on February 22 from a taxi station in Imphal.
His body was found on March 7 at Kangpokpi area in Manipur`s Senapati district, sources said, adding that the body has been handed over to the family after conducting post mortem at Regional Institute of Medical Science and Hospital here yesterday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive