48-hour bandh along national highway in Manipur
Imphal: A 48-hour bandh called by state`s taxi association in protest against the killing of a driver by militants, has affected the traffic along the Manipur portion of NH-39, officials said on Sunday.
Manipur State Taxi Service Association (MSTSA) has called the bandh from 6 pm yesterday along the National Highway-39 connecting Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati, they said.
Reports from the districts said transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states were cancelled today in view of the bandh.
Officials said Manipur-bound trucks with essential items may enter the state only after the bandh was over because security to escort them could not be sent earlier.
Manas Ali, hailing from Sukhajan village in Assam`s Karbi Along district, was recently killed by militants who reportedly demanded Rs 15 lakh from the owner of the taxi driven by Ali, an MSTSA spokesman said.
The spokesman appealed to the public to support the MSTSA-sponsored bandh along the highway so that the attention of the authorities could be drawn to prevent occurrence of such killings in future.
Official sources said Ali was kidnapped by suspected militants who hired his taxi to go to Dimapur in Nagaland on February 22 from a taxi station in Imphal.
His body was found on March 7 at Kangpokpi area in Manipur`s Senapati district, sources said, adding that the body has been handed over to the family after conducting post mortem at Regional Institute of Medical Science and Hospital here yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM