48-hour bandh along national highway in Manipur
Imphal: A 48-hour bandh called by state`s taxi association in protest against the killing of a driver by militants, has affected the traffic along the Manipur portion of NH-39, officials said on Sunday.
Manipur State Taxi Service Association (MSTSA) has called the bandh from 6 pm yesterday along the National Highway-39 connecting Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati, they said.
Reports from the districts said transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states were cancelled today in view of the bandh.
Officials said Manipur-bound trucks with essential items may enter the state only after the bandh was over because security to escort them could not be sent earlier.
Manas Ali, hailing from Sukhajan village in Assam`s Karbi Along district, was recently killed by militants who reportedly demanded Rs 15 lakh from the owner of the taxi driven by Ali, an MSTSA spokesman said.
The spokesman appealed to the public to support the MSTSA-sponsored bandh along the highway so that the attention of the authorities could be drawn to prevent occurrence of such killings in future.
Official sources said Ali was kidnapped by suspected militants who hired his taxi to go to Dimapur in Nagaland on February 22 from a taxi station in Imphal.
His body was found on March 7 at Kangpokpi area in Manipur`s Senapati district, sources said, adding that the body has been handed over to the family after conducting post mortem at Regional Institute of Medical Science and Hospital here yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Three candidates interviewed for SBI's MD post
- Awards are an inspiration to work harder: Amaal Mallik
- Former Real Madrid Galactico Michel Salgado signs for the Premier Futsal league
- Rate of inflation slower than in UPA times: PM Narendra Modi
- 2016 Canada Open: Jwala Gutta-Ashwini Ponappa pair eyes title ahead of Rio Games