5 militants arrested during search operation
Imphal: Five militants of banned Kangleipak Communist Party-Pakhanglakpa (KCP-P) faction were arrested during search operations in different parts of Imphal East district of Manipur, police said Thursday.
On a tip off about armed ultra movement, police commandos launched search operations in different parts of the district and nabbed five militants identified as L Jadumani, L Dhanabir, Oinam Jiban, Kh Ibungobi and S Bheigyabati yesterday.
Documents and letters demanding money from officials and business persons and five mobile handsets were recovered from their possession, they said.
In another search operation after the interrogation of an arrested militant, police recovered seven hand grenades, five cakes of RDX and some other materials from an interior area in Bishenpur district last evening.
The weapons were meant to attack security personnel.
Meanwhile, a high-level security meeting presided over state Chief Secretary D S Poonia last evening discussed the law and order situation, official sources said.
The meeting assumed significance in view of the frequent planting of bombs by militants to attack security personnel in the past few months, sources said. Five persons including two jawans and two students were injured when a bomb exploded in Imphal West district of the state yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...