50 mini, micro hydel power projects identified in Meghalaya
Shillong: As many as 50 mini and micro hydel power projects have been identified in different districts of Meghalaya aimed at meeting the state`s power requirements.
"The Central Electricity Authority (CEA) have identified nine mini and micro hydel power projects with the potential of producing 13.06 MW out of which three are commissioned and one is under construction," Chief Minister Mukul Sangma said during Question Hour in the Assembly here today.
The projects which were already commissioned include Sonapani on Wahumkhra-Umshyrpi river (East Khasi Hills District) of 1.5 MW, Pashyiang Micro HEP on Barim river of .04 MW (East Khasi Hills District) and Umsaw Micro HEP on Umsaw river of .02 MW in the Jaintia Hills district, he said.
The Lakhroh Micro HEP of 1.5 MW on Lakhroh river in Jaintia Hills district, which was sanctioned in 2007 was under construction, he added.
Replying to a query by Leader of Opposition Donkupar Roy, Sangma said, the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has identified 37 mini and micro hydel projects with the potential of producing up to 8,444 KW of power supply.
Of the projects identified by the Ministry, 11 are in West Garo Hills, South Garo Hills and East Garo Hills districts, eight are in East Khasi Hills district, three in Ri Bhoi district, nine in West Khasi Hills district and six in the Jaintia Hills district.
"Out of 37 projects, detailed project reports of six are complete and one is under survey and investigation," he said.
He further said there were also four such projects which have been identified by the Meghalaya Energy Corporation Limited (MeECL), out of which detailed project reports of three were complete and one is under survey and investigation.
The Chief Minister also said the government has reviewed the status of thermal power projects in the state.
Sangma said the two thermal projects under process in the state are the 240 MW project at Era Aning village in South Garo Hills district and 500 MW project at Darugiri in East Garo Hills district.
Both projects are under survey and investigation and detailed project report was being prepared, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened