5.9 magnitude quake rocks North-East
Shillong: An earthquake of moderate intensity today rocked the entire north eastern region, but there was no report of any injury to people or damage to property.
The quake, measuring 5.9 on the Richter scale, hit the region at around 7.12 AM with its epicentre being 89 km underneath the earth`s crust along the Indo-Myanmar border, officials at the Regional Seismological Centre here said.
The quake lasted a few seconds and rocked all major towns in the region, they said.
Dr H Lallenmawia, Joint Director of Mizoram Geology and Mineral Resources department said the epicentre was in Phek district of Nagaland.
Lallenmawia said the technical information about the quake was received from the seismological centre of the North East Institute of Science and Technology, Jorhat in Assam.
The tremor was felt in Itanagar, Guwahati, Agartala, Kohima and Imphal.
An Imphal report said the quake lasted in Manipur for almost a minute.
There was no injury to people or damage to property anywhere in the region, but fear stricken people ran out of their houses for safety, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Muslims not doing 'enough' to fight Islamic State: Jordan's Queen Rania