60% votes cast in Arunachal rural, civic polls
Itanagar: An estimated 60 percent voters exercised their franchise for the three-tier Panchayati Raj system in Arunachal Pradesh on Thursday.
Polling percentage for Itanagar and Pasighat municipalities being held for the first time was recorded at little above 40 per cent till last reports were available.
The polling which began at 7 am was by and large peaceful barring a few stray incidents of poll-related violence in Longding and Lower Subansiri districts.
State Election Commission (SEC) Secretary K Peyang said that the final poll percentage would be available only tomorrow after reports from several district reach the commission office.
The commission had to postpone polling in 20 booths under Tali and Pip Sorang circles of remote Kurung Kumey district as polling officials could not reach due to inclement weather and disruption in surface communication, Peyang said.
Fresh polling in nine booths under Tali circle has been fixed on May 20 next while polling at 11 stations under Pip Sorang circle has been fixed on May 29.
Polling was held for 143 Zila Parishads seats out of 177 as 32 zila parishad members (ZPM) were declared unopposed while election for two ZPM seats was not conducted due to non-filing of nominations.
Out of total Anchal Samiti Member (ASM) seats, election was held for 1031, while 739 candidates were declared unopposed and election was not conducted for 17 seats. Election for the Gram Panchayat Member (GPM) seats was held for 2,346 out of total 7, 401 posts and elections in 124 seats were not conducted, Peyang informed.
Altogether 12, 356 candidates were in the fray for the Panchayat polls being held for the third time in the state.
A total of 102 candidates were in the fray in the municipal polls being held for the first time at Itanagar and Pasighat, sources said.
Of total 30 ward councilor?s seats in Itanagar and 12
in Pasighat, polls were held in 39 wards as three Congress candidates including two in Pasighat Municipality got elected unopposed.
The ruling Congress has fielded 34 candidates (excluding three unopposed), followed by opposition BJP (29), Peoples? Party of Arunachal (12), NCP (10) besides 14 independents.
Ballot papers were used for Panchayat elections while EVMs pressed into service for the municipal elections.
There has been a rise of 8 per cent in the number of voters from the last Panchayat elections of 2008, State Election Commissioner K D Singh informed.
Counting of votes would take place on May 21 next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly