72-hr bandh paralyses normal life in Upper Assam
Guwahati: Normal life was paralysed Monday in
six districts of Upper Assam following a 72-hour bandh called
by the All Tai Ahom Students` Union, officials said.
The bandh, which began at 5 am today, has been called in
protest against inclusion of Ahom-dominated areas in tribal
council areas of different communities like Deori, Thengal
Kachari and Sonowal Kacharis, where council polls are
scheduled on June six.
The affected districts are Jorhat, Sibsagar, Golaghat,
Dibrugarh, Tinsukia and Lakhimpur.
All educational institutions, financial services and
private offices remained closed while attendance in government
offices was thin.
Road traffic was disrupted due to blockades at different
places on NH-37, though rail traffic was not affected as
trains were running as per schedule.
Operations at the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited
were also affected as employees were unable to reach the
plants in different places of upper Assam.
There has been no report of any untoward incidents from
any part of the state, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani