75% polling in Mizoram bypoll
Aizawl: Seventy-five per cent of the electorate exercised their franchise in the Chalfilh Assembly seat in Mizoram on Saturday, a senior poll official said.
Joint chief electoral officer H Lalengmawia told PTI that the final figure on the voter turnout would be available only after all polling parties, who were leaving the constituency tonight, arrived here.
Polling was peaceful, he said. Counting of votes will be held on February 28.
Seven candidates -- Dr Ngurdingliana of the ruling Congress, Lalvenhima Hmar of the Mizo National Front, Lalhmangaiha Sailo of the Mizoram People`s Conference, C Lalchhandama of the Zoram Nationalist Party, C Ramkinlova of the BJP, D K Thanga of the Lok Janshakti Party and lone independent candidate R Lalrohlua -- are in the poll fray.
The bypoll was necessitated after sitting Congress legislator Chawngtinthanga passed away on September 16 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'