95% households in NE do not have access to banking
Itanagar: Altogether 95 percent households in North East do not have access to banking services against the national average of 43 percent, RBI Deputy Governor Shyamala Gopinath said here on Saturday.
"Despite efforts by RBI during the last 75 years, there are as many as 145 million households in the country not having access to banking", she said while speaking at the RBI`s Financial Outreach camp at Karsingsa near here.
She said RBI has been launching such programmes in all the states of the region to extend banking services to every unbanked village.
"Our institution has taken a conscious decision to bring the households into the banking fold which will not only result in making available the affordable banking services to everyone but will inculcate savings and investment habits
among the people", she said.
"The challenge is enormous, but necessary, because financial inclusion is what will give people an opportunity to build better lives for themselves and their children", she added.
Karsingsa, a village within the vicinity of the state`s capital, having a population of over 2000 does not have banking facilities. The camp has served as a boon for the
denizens as 203 No Frill Account (Zero Balance Account) with zero deposits were opened with SBI branches at Nirjuli and Naharlagun.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi