Aadhar numbers to be used for social pensions, MGNREGA wages
Agartala: Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh has said `Aadhaar` numbers, the unique 12-digit identification numbers given to residents of India, would be used to provide different social pensions, MGNREGA wages to workers and scholarships to students.
"The Aadhaar-enabled applications would be utilised immediately in some selected 50 districts of the country, where the enrolment covered over 70 per cent," Ramesh told reporters here last night.
Over 20 crore people in the country were enrolled under the Unique Identification scheme and more 40 crore people would be enrolled under the same scheme within 18 months, he added.
Tripura secured the first position in implementation of UIDAI project and covered more than 90 per cent of the population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet