Aadhar numbers to be used for social pensions, MGNREGA wages
Agartala: Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh has said `Aadhaar` numbers, the unique 12-digit identification numbers given to residents of India, would be used to provide different social pensions, MGNREGA wages to workers and scholarships to students.
"The Aadhaar-enabled applications would be utilised immediately in some selected 50 districts of the country, where the enrolment covered over 70 per cent," Ramesh told reporters here last night.
Over 20 crore people in the country were enrolled under the Unique Identification scheme and more 40 crore people would be enrolled under the same scheme within 18 months, he added.
Tripura secured the first position in implementation of UIDAI project and covered more than 90 per cent of the population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Cristiano steps up to the rescue of "Criticism Ronaldo" at Euro 2016
- Amjad Sabri laid to rest amid tears, thousands attend Karachi funeral
- Euro 2016: Wayne Rooney and Roy Hodgson seek more ruthless from England against Iceland
- Gunman, who opened fire at German cinema complex before being shot dead, acted alone
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'