AAI to handle Mizoram`s state-owned airport
Aizawl: Mizoram`s lone Lengpui Airport, the only state-owned airport in the country, would soon be in the hands of the Airport Authority of India, state civil aviation officials said on Sunday.
Saidenga, the Assistant Director of the civil aviation told PTI that the Airport Authority of India (AAI) has, in principle, agreed to take over the Lengpui Airport from the Mizoram government.
"However, many things are yet to be accomplished before the final hand over which is expected after a few months," Saidenga said adding that a memorandum of understanding (MoU) would also be signed by the state government with the AAI.
He said that the airport, inaugurated in December 1998 by the then Deputy Prime Minister Lal Krishna Advani, has become old and required huge expenses for repair and renovation and the state government would benefit from the changing of hands which would include maintenance, upkeep, functioning and security of the airport.
He expressed hope that the airport would function better under the AAI as many glitches were there due to communication gap and red-tappism between the state and AAI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- Vishal Dadlani apologises, quits politics after controversial Jain monk tweet
- Toni Kroos rocket rescues Real Madrid in Cristiano Ronaldo's absence; Atletico Madrid held again
- Suspected Kurdish militants fire rockets at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport: Media
- Gun battle kills five militants, wounds 10 in Afghanistan