AAI to handle Mizoram`s state-owned airport
Aizawl: Mizoram`s lone Lengpui Airport, the only state-owned airport in the country, would soon be in the hands of the Airport Authority of India, state civil aviation officials said on Sunday.
Saidenga, the Assistant Director of the civil aviation told PTI that the Airport Authority of India (AAI) has, in principle, agreed to take over the Lengpui Airport from the Mizoram government.
"However, many things are yet to be accomplished before the final hand over which is expected after a few months," Saidenga said adding that a memorandum of understanding (MoU) would also be signed by the state government with the AAI.
He said that the airport, inaugurated in December 1998 by the then Deputy Prime Minister Lal Krishna Advani, has become old and required huge expenses for repair and renovation and the state government would benefit from the changing of hands which would include maintenance, upkeep, functioning and security of the airport.
He expressed hope that the airport would function better under the AAI as many glitches were there due to communication gap and red-tappism between the state and AAI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery