AAP to contest election in Northeast
Itanagar: After scripting a stunning electoral success in Delhi, the Aam Aadmi Party has set its sight on the Northeast where the party intends to field maximum number of candidates.
To begin with, the party has decided to contest the coming Lok Sabha and Assembly elections in Arunachal Pradesh due this year, AAP`s national executive member and in-charge of Northeastern states Habung Payeng said today.
“We will make all efforts to put up maximum number of candidates in the parliamentary and Assembly polls in Arunachal Pradesh,” Payend told a press conference.
Payeng said that apart from Arunachal Pradesh, the AAP had already constituted state committees in Assam, Manipur, Tripura and Meghalaya. They are also in the pipeline in Sikkim, Mizoram and Nagaland.
“We will try to put up maximum candidates in the Lok Sabha election from the region,” he said.
The party has constituted a small preparatory committee in Arunachal which, though temporary in nature, will launch a membership drive soon, according to Payeng.
He emphasised that all contesting candidates would have to execute an affidavit declaring that they would not avail of any luxurious government accommodation and would not use red light in their official vehicles if they were elected.
Moreover, aspiring candidates with criminal background would not be issued party tickets.
Asked what would be the strategy to contest from a Congress bastion like Arunachal, Payeng said that they would focus on several issues including demand for a strong Lokayukta and to make the RTI Act a strong tool for a clean and transparent government.
“The voters of the state are very conscious....And the AAP will be able to provide good governance as expected by the people," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder