AASU continues economic blockade against Nagaland
Guwahati: All Assam Students Union (AASU) on Tuesday refused to lift its economic blockade against Nagaland protesting the police action against its activists last week,
even as the Naga Students Federation condemned the incident.
The NSF has issued a statement condemning the September 15 incident in which at least 22 protesters, mostly AASU activists, were injured in assault and firing allegedly by
Nagaland police in Golaghat district, AASU advisor Dr Samujjal Bhattacharya told reporters.
"The AASU stand is, however, clear which is that, as long as action is taken against the erring policemen, the economic blockade will not be lifted," Bhattacharya said. Following the incident of assault on the protesters demanding security on the national highway, the student body had enforced an economic blockade leaving thousands of trucks carrying essentials stranded resulting in a shortage of goods.
"Nagaland is our good neighbour and we do not hold anything against the people of that state. We also appreciate the gesture of the NSF condemning the incident but until
action is taken against the policemen, the blockade will not be lifted," he said.
The NSF, in the statement, said, "we are deeply pained with the action of the Nagaland police and express our strong resentment."
"While extending our solidarity to the injured innocent protesters and support towards the demand of the AASU, the NSF urges upon the Nagaland government to seriously examine the incident and take necessary action," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department