AASU flays lax security, GSU cautions against militants
Shillong: The influential All Assam Students Union (AASU) today flayed the Assam Government for "failing to provide security to the people" in the ethnic violence hit Assam-Meghalaya border, while the Garo Students Union (GSU) in Meghalaya appealed to the people not to shelter militants who have "fuelled" the clash.
"It seems as if there is no administration in Goalpara. The government has failed to provide security to the people who have been bearing the brunt of the violence since the last ten days. We denounce the government," AASU president Shankar Prasad Rai, who along with his colleagues visited Goalpara said.
He said the organization has dashed off a memorandum to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding adequate security measures, proper relief to affected people and their rehabilitation.
Rai said the 30,000 affected people were reeling in the relief camps due to lack of provisions.
Alleging that the administration in Goalpara was a mute spectator of the violence, Rai also slammed Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi for not visiting the area even after nine days of violence.
On the other hand, the GSU has appealed to the people of Meghalaya not to shelter ULFA and Rabha militants who have "fuelled the current ethnic violence."
In a statement, GSU general secretary Rondon K Momin said "police in Assam neglected their duties while miscreants went on rampage and burnt down houses of innocent villagers."
The GSU appealed to the Assam Government to provide full security to the Garos living in Assam "because Meghalaya Government has given full security to the Rabhas living in the state."
Condemning the attack on Union Minister of State for Rural Development Agatha K Sangma and former Lok Sabha Speaker P A Sangma and Opposition Leader Conrad K Sangma by an irate mob in Goalpara, the GSU said, "If Assam Government cannot protect the lives of the important people how can they protect the common men living in Assam."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested