AASU wants special constitutional status for Assam and N-E
Guwahati: The All Assam Students Union (AASU)
wants special constitutional status for Assam and the North
East with the indigenous people`s right over land and natural
resources, besides deportation of illegal Bangladeshis.
"The illegal Bangladeshis in Assam have been changing the
demographic pattern here and were a threat to the nation and
the survival of the indigenous people of the state. We want a
special Constitutional status", AASU advisor Dr Samujjal
Bhattacharya said today.
"We want constitutional safeguards, an economic package
under the Assam Accord, an Upper House with representatives
from various ethnic communities here, introduction of inner
line permit system and 100 per cent reservation for locals in
assembly", Bhattacharya told reporters.
"The Union Home Minister had told Parliament that the
demographic pattern in Assam has changed due to the illegal
Bangladeshis. Then why no steps have been taken to deport
them. We warn both the central and state governments and the
political parties that our agitation would be intensified if
they failed to detect and deport illegal migrants", he said.
The AASU had launched the six-year long anti foreigner
agitation 30 years ago for solution of the migrants problem.
"But the Indo-Bangladesh border has not been sealed, the
National Register of Citizens not updated and even the
identified foreigners have disappeared. All the political
parties only want Bangladeshi votes", he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof