Abduction of workers taken up with Bangladesh
Aizawl: The Union Home Ministry has taken up the matter of the abduction of six construction workers from Mizoram by NLFT cadre with the Bangladesh Home Ministry, Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai said on Wednesday.
Mathai said here that security agencies under the Union Home Ministry were in regular and close contact with their counterparts in Bangladesh and the issue of the six people abducted by NLFT who were kept in captivity inside Bangladesh was taken up.
Six executives of the Assam-based Anupam Bricks and Concrete Industries (ABCI), undertaking construction of Indo-Bangladesh border fencing, were abducted by armed NLFT cadre from their camp near Mauzam village in the Mizoram -Bangladesh border Lunglei district and have been kept hostage for exactly a month today.
Though the NLFT reportedly asked for ransom of Rs 1.2 crore for the release of the hostages, the state government claimed ignorance of any parleys between the ABCI and the militants.
State Home Minister R Lalzirliana said that the matter was taken up by the Union Home Ministry as the ABCI was engaged in the border fencing works by the Ministry and that the ABCI did not ask for the help of the state government in securing the release of the hostages even as the state government launched combing operations in the border areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened