‘Abnormal rise in Assam`s electoral growth rate’
Guwahati: The growth rate of the electorate in Assam is abnormally high comparing to the national growth rate of voters, according to an NGO Assam Public Works (APW).
"The situation is more sinister because almost all constituencies of Assam, barring a few, have shown abnormally high growth rates in recent time and this extra growth is due to enrolment of illegal Bangladeshi migrants in the voters` list," APW President Abhijeet Sarmah said in a letter to Union Home Minister P Chidamabaram on Thursday.
Previously, high population and voter`s growth was recorded mostly in Dhubri, Goalpara, Barpeta, Hailakandi, Nagaon, Morigaon, Darrang, Sonitpur, Karimganj districts, but the recent electoral rolls have shown that the growth in the entire state is alarmingly high, he said.
He urged the union home minister to update the National Register of Citizens and deploy armed forces, rapid action force along with Assam police during the updating process to avoid any unfortunate incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note