After 70 years in politics, Keishing to hang up boots at 95
New Delhi: Rishang Keishing, India`s oldest Parliamentarian and member of the first Lok Sabha in 1952, has decided to call it a day after seven decades in public life.
95-year-old Keishing, whose present term of Rajya Sabha ends in April, feels it is time to say goodbye to active politics as he has served enough in public life.
"I think, I have had enough of public life. I have to retire," Keishing told PTI in an interview.
Having seen various ups and downs in the country`s political scene since freedom struggle, he remembers the day when former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru had asked him to join Congress in 1962.
Going down the memory lane, Keishing feels proud that he had the privilege to work with three generations of Nehru-Gandhi family beginning from Nehru till Sonia Gandhi.
A second-time member in Rajya Sabha, the veteran Parliamentarian, who was four times Chief Minister of troubled Manipur and had two tenures in Lok Sabha, says with pride, "I have worked with Pandit jee (Nehru), Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi and Sonia jee."
Having been elected on a Socialist Party ticket in 1952 to Lok Sabha, Keishing joined Congress in 1962 -- a moment which he narrated clearly with all minute details.
"Pandit Nehru welcomed me with a warm heart. He was an outstanding leader.
Keishing, a former school teacher who hails from Naga- dominated Ukhrul district, plans to devote his retired life in farming, gardening and doing things which he said he could not do earlier due to busy life.
"Gardening is my favourite past time. I will also devote time in horticulture, specially medicinal plants," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'