After mine mishap, Meghalaya to come up with safety norms
Shillong: Following the tragic incident in which more than 15 miners were trapped and went untraced in a coal mine in South Garo Hills district of Meghalaya, the state government now wants to hold private mine owners responsible for any mishap in their mines.
"We would soon come with an executive order as the government is concerned over the lack of safety norms in mining areas across the state which is posing a serious threat to the life of the thousands of labourers who are working in these mines," said Deputy Chief Minister Bindo Mathew Lanong and Minister-in-charge of Mining and Geology department.
Mineral-rich Meghalaya, at present, does not have a mining policy in place and as such coal and other minerals are extracted by mine owners at their own risk and wisdom without having any mechanism to check on the welfare and safety of miners.
Last week, a special team from the National Disaster and Rescue Force (NDRF) pulled out from a rescue mission at Nongalbibra citing that they found no trapped miners during their intense 14 hours search in the `rat-hole` coal mine and that the mission is posing a threat to the rescuers.
After more than 200 hours of being untraced, the district authorities said their hopes to find the trapped miners alive is shut.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!