After mine mishap, Meghalaya to come up with safety norms
Shillong: Following the tragic incident in which more than 15 miners were trapped and went untraced in a coal mine in South Garo Hills district of Meghalaya, the state government now wants to hold private mine owners responsible for any mishap in their mines.
"We would soon come with an executive order as the government is concerned over the lack of safety norms in mining areas across the state which is posing a serious threat to the life of the thousands of labourers who are working in these mines," said Deputy Chief Minister Bindo Mathew Lanong and Minister-in-charge of Mining and Geology department.
Mineral-rich Meghalaya, at present, does not have a mining policy in place and as such coal and other minerals are extracted by mine owners at their own risk and wisdom without having any mechanism to check on the welfare and safety of miners.
Last week, a special team from the National Disaster and Rescue Force (NDRF) pulled out from a rescue mission at Nongalbibra citing that they found no trapped miners during their intense 14 hours search in the `rat-hole` coal mine and that the mission is posing a threat to the rescuers.
After more than 200 hours of being untraced, the district authorities said their hopes to find the trapped miners alive is shut.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?