After snub, Lapang orders crackdown on illegal toll gates
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister D D
Lapang today ordered dismantling of all illegal toll and check
gates in the state, less than a week after Congress president
Sonia Gandhi expressed concern over the issue.
"The administration has been asked to dismantle all
illegal toll gates and check gates by March 15," Lapang told
"Mrs Gandhi expressed concern over the issue. There
are many extra gates in the Garo hills region where unknown
groups set up check gates and disappear at the sight of
security personnel," Lapang said.
He said legal gates also collect excess money from
trucks and allow trucks to run with loads beyond the
"Special officers will be assigned to ensure there is
no leakage of revenue and that the gates follow regulations.
Erring personnel manning the legal toll gates will be brought
to book," the chief minister said.
The move came after aggrieved truckers, under the
banner of All North East Commercial Truck Owners and Operators
Association, met the UPA chairperson during her visit to the
state last weekend and apprised her of the illegal collection
carried out by these check gates.
Slamming the state government for inaction, the
truckers told Gandhi that about 29 such illegal gates have
been set up on NH 62 in the coal-rich Garo hills region which
illegally collect up to Rs 30,000 per truck per trip.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen