Agitation on inner line permit to resume in Manipur
Imphal: A powerful local committee on Sunday said it would resume agitation for implementation of inner line permit (ILP) system in Manipur if the state government failed to inform the Centre about the state assembly resolution on the issue.
Talking to media persons here, president of Joint Action Committee(JAC) of Inner Line Permit, Sapamcha Jadumani said the state assembly had passed a resolution on enforcing ILP system in the state about three weeks in view of the demographical changes but the decision was yet to be conveyed to the Centre.
The committee, he said, would launch a series of agitations for the implementation of the ILP system in the state as outsiders, including migrants from neighbouring countries had outnumbered the tribal population of the state.
Official sources agreed that people who had come from outside the state as manual labourers, small time businessmen and others had outnumbered the tribal population of the state.
JAC sources clarified that they were not against fellow citizens but Manipuris being a microscopic population in the country, a system should be introduced to protect the identity, culture and customs of the indigenous people.
Unwanted situation would come up in future if the influx was not checked in time, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'