Agitation on inner line permit to resume in Manipur
Imphal: A powerful local committee on Sunday said it would resume agitation for implementation of inner line permit (ILP) system in Manipur if the state government failed to inform the Centre about the state assembly resolution on the issue.
Talking to media persons here, president of Joint Action Committee(JAC) of Inner Line Permit, Sapamcha Jadumani said the state assembly had passed a resolution on enforcing ILP system in the state about three weeks in view of the demographical changes but the decision was yet to be conveyed to the Centre.
The committee, he said, would launch a series of agitations for the implementation of the ILP system in the state as outsiders, including migrants from neighbouring countries had outnumbered the tribal population of the state.
Official sources agreed that people who had come from outside the state as manual labourers, small time businessmen and others had outnumbered the tribal population of the state.
JAC sources clarified that they were not against fellow citizens but Manipuris being a microscopic population in the country, a system should be introduced to protect the identity, culture and customs of the indigenous people.
Unwanted situation would come up in future if the influx was not checked in time, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why