Agnivesh wants PM to `embarrass` Tarun Gogoi
Guwahati: Pilloring Tarun Gogoi for the June 22 police firing here on farmers when a 9-year-old boy was among two killed, social activist Swami Agnivesh on Thursday said that the Prime Minister should `embarrass` the Assam Chief Minister by taking out a padayatra here.
"Just as Rahul Gandhi has undertaken a padayatra in Uttar Pradesh to embarass (Chief Minister) Mayawati, the Prime Minister who represents Assam in Parliment should go on a padayatra here to embarass Tarun Gogoi," Agnivesh told reporters here.
Demanding a judicial inquiry into the police firing and violence, he said that eviction of illegal settlers on government land should be done properly and peacefully, and not by using elephants to pull down houses or the police armed
with lathis and guns.
Claiming that the violence by farmers could have been averted had Gogoi talked to the farmers, he said "we are ready to mediate between him and the people on the matter."
On June 22, farmers of the Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti had tried to enter the high security zone of the state secretariat at Dispur and had torched cars when prevented leading to the police firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!