Agnivesh wants PM to `embarrass` Tarun Gogoi
Guwahati: Pilloring Tarun Gogoi for the June 22 police firing here on farmers when a 9-year-old boy was among two killed, social activist Swami Agnivesh on Thursday said that the Prime Minister should `embarrass` the Assam Chief Minister by taking out a padayatra here.
"Just as Rahul Gandhi has undertaken a padayatra in Uttar Pradesh to embarass (Chief Minister) Mayawati, the Prime Minister who represents Assam in Parliment should go on a padayatra here to embarass Tarun Gogoi," Agnivesh told reporters here.
Demanding a judicial inquiry into the police firing and violence, he said that eviction of illegal settlers on government land should be done properly and peacefully, and not by using elephants to pull down houses or the police armed
with lathis and guns.
Claiming that the violence by farmers could have been averted had Gogoi talked to the farmers, he said "we are ready to mediate between him and the people on the matter."
On June 22, farmers of the Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti had tried to enter the high security zone of the state secretariat at Dispur and had torched cars when prevented leading to the police firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves