Agnivesh wants PM to `embarrass` Tarun Gogoi
Guwahati: Pilloring Tarun Gogoi for the June 22 police firing here on farmers when a 9-year-old boy was among two killed, social activist Swami Agnivesh on Thursday said that the Prime Minister should `embarrass` the Assam Chief Minister by taking out a padayatra here.
"Just as Rahul Gandhi has undertaken a padayatra in Uttar Pradesh to embarass (Chief Minister) Mayawati, the Prime Minister who represents Assam in Parliment should go on a padayatra here to embarass Tarun Gogoi," Agnivesh told reporters here.
Demanding a judicial inquiry into the police firing and violence, he said that eviction of illegal settlers on government land should be done properly and peacefully, and not by using elephants to pull down houses or the police armed
with lathis and guns.
Claiming that the violence by farmers could have been averted had Gogoi talked to the farmers, he said "we are ready to mediate between him and the people on the matter."
On June 22, farmers of the Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti had tried to enter the high security zone of the state secretariat at Dispur and had torched cars when prevented leading to the police firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!