AGP demands Rs 30,000 crore flood relief package in Assam
Guwahati: Castigating the government over its "negligence" in providing succour to victims of the latest flood in Assam, Asom Gana Parishad on Sunday demanded that Centre extend a special package of Rs 30,000 crore for flood relief in the state.
AGP General Secertary Durga Das Bodo said that flood and erosion should be declared as "national problem."
"Rather than shedding crocodile tears, the Centre should announce a special package of Rs 30,000 crore for flood relief in Assam," Bodo said.
Rather than paying a visit to Assam for stock-taking, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should take steps to provide the latest flood-mitigation technology to the state.
"Despite the fact the 61 persons have lost their live on account of the flood, the state government has adopted a passive attitude. At a time when the state is facing calamity, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi is undertaking a visit to the US," Bodo said.
The AGP also alleged that many affected areas in the state, including places in Goalpara district, had not been provided relief materials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug