AGP for tribal from north east as President
Guwahati: Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) would like a tribal from the north east as President but has not taken any decision regarding supporting PA Sangma for the post, party President Prafulla Kumar Mahanta said on Thursday.
"We have not taken any decision regarding the presidential polls. Let the notification for the polls be issued first and then we will take a call," Mahanta, also former Assam chief minister told reporters here.
"However, we do not have enough votes in the electoral college to shape the outcome of the presidential polls," he added.
AGP has one member in Lok Sabha and two in Rajya Sabha, besides 10 MLAs in Assam assembly.
Sangma, NCP leader and former Speaker has already announced his candidature for the post and has secured support of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalitha and Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof