AGP urges CEC to hold Assam polls in four phases
Guwahati: The opposition Asom Gana
Parishad today urged the Chief Election Commissioner to hold
the forthcoming assembly polls in the state in four phases in
view of the alleged deteriorating law and order situation.
AGP President Chandra Mohan Patowary said in a
presentation before CEC S Y Qureshi that elections in the
state should be held in four phases with adequate deployment
of security forces in view of the law and order situation
coupled with militant activities and ethnic clashes.
The AGP also demanded the abolition of Electronic
Voting Machines (EVMs) as it has failed on several occasions
before and urged that the forthcoming polls be held through
Patowary urged the CEC to hold the elections before
Rongali Bihu festival beginning on April 13 as the people
would be involved in the festivities and the rainy season
starts in the state by mid-April.
``Open display of both licensed and unlicensed
firearms are common in the state under the present regime and
we strongly demand that all such firearms should be seized
immediately to hold free and fair elections in the state``,
The party President also demanded a thorough scrutiny
of officials in key positions in both civil and police
administration in different districts with partisan attitude
towards the ruling party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'