AGP urges CEC to hold Assam polls in four phases
Guwahati: The opposition Asom Gana
Parishad today urged the Chief Election Commissioner to hold
the forthcoming assembly polls in the state in four phases in
view of the alleged deteriorating law and order situation.
AGP President Chandra Mohan Patowary said in a
presentation before CEC S Y Qureshi that elections in the
state should be held in four phases with adequate deployment
of security forces in view of the law and order situation
coupled with militant activities and ethnic clashes.
The AGP also demanded the abolition of Electronic
Voting Machines (EVMs) as it has failed on several occasions
before and urged that the forthcoming polls be held through
Patowary urged the CEC to hold the elections before
Rongali Bihu festival beginning on April 13 as the people
would be involved in the festivities and the rainy season
starts in the state by mid-April.
``Open display of both licensed and unlicensed
firearms are common in the state under the present regime and
we strongly demand that all such firearms should be seized
immediately to hold free and fair elections in the state``,
The party President also demanded a thorough scrutiny
of officials in key positions in both civil and police
administration in different districts with partisan attitude
towards the ruling party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark