Ahluwalia assures Arunachal of help for development
Itanagar: Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia on Sunday assured Arunachal Pradesh of all the help from the Centre for all-round development of the land-locked mountain state.
"Arunachal shares 1,900 kilometers border with China, Myanmar and Bhutan, and efforts are being initiated to accelerate development in all border areas of the state," Ahluwalia said at a function that marked the silver jubilee
celebrations of the birth of this state.
While inaugurating the Festival of Arunchal, the Deputy Chairman said the Prime Minister’s developmental package announced during 2008 would be of immense help in that direction.
"There will be no dearth of fund but the state government should endeavour for speedy implementation of the projects and judicious utilisation of the developmental fund," he added.
Ahuliwalia also promised to consider project proposals submitted by the state government for infrastructure development.
The government has proposed infrastructure development in 22 unconnected administrative circles in border areas, to provide potable water in remote areas and development of porter tracks and log bridges in sensitive border areas for easy movement of defence personnel.
The Deputy Chairman congratulated the state for its rapid strides since attaining statehood in 1987. Its road network was now 21,000 km compared to just 100 km in 1982 and 3,400 km in 1987. Its literacy rate in 2001 census was recorded at 55 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency