AIFFM requests AP govt to stop use of armed forces
Itanagar: All India Forum of Forest Movements (AIFFM) has urged Arunachal Pradesh government to stop use of armed forces in dealing with mass protests against construction of big dams in Siang belt, Dibang Valley and other parts of the state.
Pointing out the reported use of force for public hearing for hydro projects in Siang belt, the Forum said high-handed approach displayed by both Assam and Arunachal Pradesh against the protesters of dam in recent past is a "clear violation" of the democratic rights and aspiration of the indigenous and river basin communities.
In Siang and Dibang Valley, public hearings had to be cancelled because of people`s opposition to hydro projects many a times in the last five years, the forum said in a communique on Saturday.
"Police and para military forces were amassed as a show of brute strength by the state to forcibly organise the public hearings. The tactics to muzzle dissenting voices against destructive development projects are on the increase in Arunachal Pradesh," it said.
The forum condemned the use of forces to deal with the legitimate, democratic, peaceful and non violent people`s protests` against hydro projects in Arunachal Pradesh, Assam and in other parts of the North-East.
The Forum further demanded the Arunachal Pradesh government to review all the MoUs signed against various hydro-power projects.
"The MoUs were signed with power developers many of whom are completely new to dam building. Moreover, the projects are being developed without any meaningful consultation with the affected communities," it added.
Opposing the ongoing construction of Lower Subansiri project at Gerukamukh, the Forum called upon the authorities to take note of the various independent studies on the downstream impact of the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day