AIUDF leader shot dead in Barpeta
Barpeta (Assam): All India United Democratic
Front (AIUDF) leader Muzaffar Ali was shot dead by
unidentified miscreants in Assam`s Barpeta district on Wednesday,
Ali, who was the President of Sikni Gaon Panchayat, was
shot dead by four youths at Bamuntari under Kalgachia police
outpost while he was on his way to the Panchayat office on his
Police suspect that the killing was the handiwork of his
The AIUDF, led by perfume baron Badruddin Ajmal, had
contested the last Lok Sabha elections and won one seat.
One of the assailants, identified as Kader Ali, was
captured by local residents and severely beaten up while the
others managed to escape.
Meanwhile, the AIUDF has called a 10-hour bandh in Barpeta
district tomorrow to protest against the killing.
3 youths injured in police firing
Three youths, including a girl who
was being abducted, were injured when police opened fire to
stop the vehicle at Sonapur near Guwahati today, police said.
A group of five youths led by one Santosh Jaiswal
abducted a young girl from Ulubari and were on their way to
Nagaon when the police intercepted the vehicle at Sonapur.
The driver did not stop the vehicle and the police
opened fire in which Jaiswal, the driver and the girl were
injured and admitted to the Guwahati Medical College Hospital.
The three other persons travelling in the vehicle were
also taken into custody.
Jaiswal wanted to marry the girl but she had refused
with the former threatening to either abduct or kill her, the
girl`s family members alleged.
PWD staff stabbed to death
A Public Works Department
(PWD) employee was stabbed to death in Assam`s Nalbari
district this evening, police said.
The employee, Rafiq Ahmed, was on his way back home
from office when he was attacked by two unidentified
miscreants near the Civil Hospital here.
Ahmed, who was critically injured, was declared dead
in the hospital.
Personal enmity was suspected to be the cause behind
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Pak envoy Abdul Basit unfazed by LeT attack in J&K's Pampore, says 'let's enjoy Iftar party'
- Euro 2016: Italy`s Antonio Candreva to miss pre-quarters clash with Spain
- India has a very big infrastructure programme: Arun Jaitley
- Germany's Merkel calls for sober EU divorce talks with 'partner' Britain
- Sanjay Bangar, Abhay Sharma named as support staff to Indian cricket coach Anil Kumble