Aizawl landslide claims 13 lives, more bodies likely to be extricated
Aizawl: With the recovery of two more bodies since Sunday night, 13 bodies have been found from the debris following a landslide which swept away an abandoned government building and nine houses in the northern part of Aizawl on May 11.
Four bodies were feared to be still trapped under the debris, Aizawl SP (Traffic) Lallianmawia said.
"Some parts of the bodies are visible but it will take time to dig them out due to the steep terrain and it will be extremely difficult to dig the concrete slabs over the bodies", he said.
The rescue works were undertaken by the Disaster Rescue team of the state armed police and assisted by trained rescue volunteers of the Young Mizo Association (YMA).
Meanwhile, former chief minister and opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) chief Zoramthanga today demanded that a judicial inquiry should be instituted to investigate the disaster which he described as "man-made".
Zoramthanga said that the disaster was caused by `criminal negligence` on the part of the Public Works department (PWD) and Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla, who holds the PWD portfolio and his younger brother Lal Thanzara, the parliamentary secretary for PWD.
The enquiry must fix responsibilities and those responsible must be punished, he said.
The landslide, that took place in the early hours of May 11, had swept away nine houses in north Aizawl killing eight and leaving about 11 untraced.
A PWD office building, which had been vacated about a year ago after a crack developed on it, collapsed under the impact of the landslide and fell on nine houses below killing the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla