Aizawl landslide claims 13 lives, more bodies likely to be extricated
Aizawl: With the recovery of two more bodies since Sunday night, 13 bodies have been found from the debris following a landslide which swept away an abandoned government building and nine houses in the northern part of Aizawl on May 11.
Four bodies were feared to be still trapped under the debris, Aizawl SP (Traffic) Lallianmawia said.
"Some parts of the bodies are visible but it will take time to dig them out due to the steep terrain and it will be extremely difficult to dig the concrete slabs over the bodies", he said.
The rescue works were undertaken by the Disaster Rescue team of the state armed police and assisted by trained rescue volunteers of the Young Mizo Association (YMA).
Meanwhile, former chief minister and opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) chief Zoramthanga today demanded that a judicial inquiry should be instituted to investigate the disaster which he described as "man-made".
Zoramthanga said that the disaster was caused by `criminal negligence` on the part of the Public Works department (PWD) and Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla, who holds the PWD portfolio and his younger brother Lal Thanzara, the parliamentary secretary for PWD.
The enquiry must fix responsibilities and those responsible must be punished, he said.
The landslide, that took place in the early hours of May 11, had swept away nine houses in north Aizawl killing eight and leaving about 11 untraced.
A PWD office building, which had been vacated about a year ago after a crack developed on it, collapsed under the impact of the landslide and fell on nine houses below killing the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?