Aizawl landslide: Toll mounts to 17, probe announced
Aizawl: The death toll in Saturday`s landslide here rose to 17 on Monday, as Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla announced setting up of an inquiry commission to probe the circumstances leading to the disaster.
Aizawl SP (Traffic) Lallianmawia said four bodies were recovered since last night, while two more bodies were trapped under concrete slabs in such a way that it was difficult retrieve them.
"Some parts of the two bodies are visible but it will take time to dig them out as it is a steep terrain," he said.
The massive landslide at Laipuitlang area in northern part of the state capital early on May 11 was triggered by a cyclonic storm and heavy pre-monsoon rainfall.
A PWD office building, which had been vacated about a year ago after a crack developed on it, collapsed under the impact of the landslide and fell on nine houses below killing these 17 people.
Lal Thanhawla today said that a one-man probe panel of Dr Franklin Laltinkhuma, the district magistrate of Aizawl, would enquire into the circumstances of the collapse of the PWD building which swept nine houses and claimed 17 lives.
Stating that the commission was asked to submit its report within seven days, the chief minister also announced an ex-gratia of Rs 1.5 lakh for the family members of each of those killed.
Meanwhile, opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) chief Zoramthanga demanded that a judicial probe be instituted to investigate the disaster.
Zoramthanga alleged that the disaster was caused by `criminal negligence` on the part of the PWD, Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla, who holds PWD portfolio, and his younger brother Lal Thanzara, the parliamentary secretary for PWD.
The enquiry must fix responsibilities and those responsible must be punished, said the former chief minister.
The MNF youth front earlier demanded resignation of the chief minister by owning responsibility of the disaster.
A senior Advocate today lodged an FIR seeking a police investigation the cause of the disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in