Aizawl landslide: Toll mounts to 17, probe announced
Aizawl: The death toll in Saturday`s landslide here rose to 17 on Monday, as Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla announced setting up of an inquiry commission to probe the circumstances leading to the disaster.
Aizawl SP (Traffic) Lallianmawia said four bodies were recovered since last night, while two more bodies were trapped under concrete slabs in such a way that it was difficult retrieve them.
"Some parts of the two bodies are visible but it will take time to dig them out as it is a steep terrain," he said.
The massive landslide at Laipuitlang area in northern part of the state capital early on May 11 was triggered by a cyclonic storm and heavy pre-monsoon rainfall.
A PWD office building, which had been vacated about a year ago after a crack developed on it, collapsed under the impact of the landslide and fell on nine houses below killing these 17 people.
Lal Thanhawla today said that a one-man probe panel of Dr Franklin Laltinkhuma, the district magistrate of Aizawl, would enquire into the circumstances of the collapse of the PWD building which swept nine houses and claimed 17 lives.
Stating that the commission was asked to submit its report within seven days, the chief minister also announced an ex-gratia of Rs 1.5 lakh for the family members of each of those killed.
Meanwhile, opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) chief Zoramthanga demanded that a judicial probe be instituted to investigate the disaster.
Zoramthanga alleged that the disaster was caused by `criminal negligence` on the part of the PWD, Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla, who holds PWD portfolio, and his younger brother Lal Thanzara, the parliamentary secretary for PWD.
The enquiry must fix responsibilities and those responsible must be punished, said the former chief minister.
The MNF youth front earlier demanded resignation of the chief minister by owning responsibility of the disaster.
A senior Advocate today lodged an FIR seeking a police investigation the cause of the disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you