Aizwal landslide: All bodies recovered, clearing work on at site
Aizawl: With the last remaining body being recovered from under the debris, the workers were now busy clearing the site here that was hit by the massive landslide on May 11 leaving 17 people dead.
SP (Traffic) Lallianmawia on Wednesday said the body of Vanlalrema of S Lungpher village was recovered last night.
This was the last of the 17 bodies that had been recovered from under huge chunk of concrete slabs.
Members of the state Disaster Response Force, assisted by workers of the Young Mizo Association worked round the clock to recover the bodies, Lallianmawia said.
He said work to clear the debris would continue.
The massive landslide at Laipuitlang area in northern part of the state capital early on May 11 was triggered by a cyclonic storm and heavy pre-monsoon rainfall.
A PWD office building, which had been vacated about a year ago after a crack developed on it, collapsed under the impact of the landslide and fell on nine houses below killing 17 people.
The government on Monday ordered a magisterial inquiry and Aizawl DC Dr Franklin Laltinkhuma was appointed to enquire into the incident and submit report within seven days.
Opposition parties slammed the government and demanded resignation of Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla who holds the PWD portfolio.
Mizo National Front and Zoram Nationalist Party demanded a judicial inquiry and not a magisterial probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar board Intermediate Result 2016 declared: Check BSEB 12th Result result at www.biharboard.ac.in, www.biharboard.bih.nic.in
- Chidambaram wonders if Modi govt 'deserves' RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan
- Iran`s supreme leader Khamenei warns of Western 'schemes' as new MPs meet
- Confusion prevails over surrender of top aide of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander in Kashmir
- NASA to make second attempt to inflate expandable habitat on ISS