Akhil Gogoi arrested for Guwahati violence
Guwahati: Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS) leader Akhil Gogoi, accused of leading the recent violent protests in the city that claimed three lives, was on Friday
arrested at the Press Club here, police said.
It was not immediately known under what section he was arrested though there were reports of him being taken into custody under the National Security Act (NSA).
The KMSS secretary was arrested when he was addressing a press conference.
Altogether 10 cases, including four non-bailable ones, were registered against the KMSS leader yesterday.
Gogoi has been accused of leading violent KMSS activists, in Dispur area here on Wednesday in which three persons were killed and over 50 injured.
Three persons, including a nine-year-old boy, were killed and over 60 injured in a clash between farmers protesting eviction of encroachers and police here on Wednesday, after which authorities issued shoot-at-sight order to quell violence.
The incident occurred when 10,000 or so protesters led by KMSS and Right to Information activist Akhil Gogoi marched toward the Assam government headquarters.
The agitators, including many women and children, were demanding a complete halt to the eviction drive and issuing of land certificates (pattas) to the settlers. The protesters also wanted the government to allow them to stay and apply for utility services like water and electricity.
The Assam government has ordered an inquiry by Additional Chief Secretary Surajit Mitra into the clash.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had condemned the incident and said the rally was held on the issue of eviction of encroachers, but the government had already declared that those who had been residing on government land in Guwahati city area for more than 15 years would be given land rights.
As a large posse of police arrived at the Press Club to arrest the KMSS leader, Gogoi continued to speak to reporters alleging that the police had attacked "innocent and peaceful protestors who were democratically demonstrating against their eviction from their homes on Wednesday".
Gogoi urged the people of the state to come out peacefully to protest his arrest and along with his supporters .
The KMSS leader was taken Pan Bazar police station with the administration taking all security measures to avert any untoward incident following his arrest. Movement of vehicles was diverted in the busy area, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof