Alert in Meghalaya ahead of HNLC `Raising Day`
Shillong: Security forces have been put on alert in Meghalaya ahead of the Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council`s (HNLC) "Raising Day" on Aug 14, police said on Wednesday.
The tribal Khasi outfit is fighting for a sovereign Hynniewtrep homeland in the eastern part of Meghalaya. It plans to mark its 25th year of its birth.
"We have received inputs about intrusion of HNLC cadres from Bangladesh," Shillong police chief Mariahom Kharkrang told IANS.
The HNLC runs hit-and-run operations from hideouts in Bangladesh. Meghalaya shares a 443-km border with Bangladesh, part of which is porous, hilly and unfenced and thus prone to infiltration.
"All police stations and outposts have been alerted," Kharkrang said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city