All 60 ruling NPF candidates file nominations in Nagaland
Kohima: With just two days remaining for the last date of filing of nominations to the upcoming elections in Nagaland, all 60 candidates of ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF) submitted relevant papers today.
The Chief Electoral Officer`s office here said Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio and Assembly Speaker Kiyanilie Peseyie filed their nominations in Kohima. NPF candidates filed nominations from rest of the districts with the party being the only one to contest all 60 seats to the assembly.
Altogether 69 nominations were filed today in different parts of the state till 7 pm with Mon, Phek and Mokokchung registering the highest number of 10 each.
Besides Independent candidates, political parties which filed nominations included BJP, NCP, RJD, JDU and regional United Nagaland Democratic Party. The candidates submitted the papers to the respective Deputy Commissioner, who is also the District Electoral Officer, sources said.
Rio, who was the first to file nomination this morning, will contest from Northern Angami II A/C under Kohima district. BJP candidate and former minister T A Ngullie has filed his nomination papers for Tyui A/C under Wokha district.
Congress sources said its candidates would be filing nominations tomorrow for 57 constituencies, as it is not fielding candidates in two seats, Kohima Town Assembly Constituency and Wakcing A/C, while the decision for fielding candidate in Ghaspani-I A/C was still awaited from the AICC.
The notification for the Nagaland assembly elections, to be held on February 23, was issued on January 30. The first nomination was filed on Friday by an Independent candidate, Picto, at the office of the District Electoral Officer of Zunheboto for the Atoizu assembly constituency.
The last date of filing nominations is February 6 while scrutiny would be held the next day and last date of withdrawal is February 9.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata