All 60 ruling NPF candidates file nominations in Nagaland
Kohima: With just two days remaining for the last date of filing of nominations to the upcoming elections in Nagaland, all 60 candidates of ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF) submitted relevant papers today.
The Chief Electoral Officer`s office here said Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio and Assembly Speaker Kiyanilie Peseyie filed their nominations in Kohima. NPF candidates filed nominations from rest of the districts with the party being the only one to contest all 60 seats to the assembly.
Altogether 69 nominations were filed today in different parts of the state till 7 pm with Mon, Phek and Mokokchung registering the highest number of 10 each.
Besides Independent candidates, political parties which filed nominations included BJP, NCP, RJD, JDU and regional United Nagaland Democratic Party. The candidates submitted the papers to the respective Deputy Commissioner, who is also the District Electoral Officer, sources said.
Rio, who was the first to file nomination this morning, will contest from Northern Angami II A/C under Kohima district. BJP candidate and former minister T A Ngullie has filed his nomination papers for Tyui A/C under Wokha district.
Congress sources said its candidates would be filing nominations tomorrow for 57 constituencies, as it is not fielding candidates in two seats, Kohima Town Assembly Constituency and Wakcing A/C, while the decision for fielding candidate in Ghaspani-I A/C was still awaited from the AICC.
The notification for the Nagaland assembly elections, to be held on February 23, was issued on January 30. The first nomination was filed on Friday by an Independent candidate, Picto, at the office of the District Electoral Officer of Zunheboto for the Atoizu assembly constituency.
The last date of filing nominations is February 6 while scrutiny would be held the next day and last date of withdrawal is February 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next