All eyes in Nagaland on Mokokchung bye-election
Mokokchung: All eyes are now on the
by-election to Aonglengden assembly constituency in Mokokchung
district from where Congress leader and former chief minister
S C Jamir is seeking re-entry into the state politics after a
gap about a decade while ruling Nagaland People`s Front (NPF)
is putting stiff resistance to ensure his defeat.
The by-election to the prestigious constituency, once
Jamir’s political citadel, will be held on May 7 for which the
elaborate security cover has been put to ensure a free and
fair poll and prevent any underground element from disrupting
The bye-poll was necessitated following demise of Congress
MLA Nungshizenba Longkumer last year.
At an election rally at Mokokchung today in support of
party candidate Toshipokba Longkumer, NPF president
Shurhozelie said he was surprised when the Congress announced
Jamir?s candidature for the bye-election since he did not
believe that the veteran Naga politician after serving as
governor would come back to the state’s politics through a
bye-poll at such an old age.
"We all respect him, we feel proud of him. But Jamir’s era
of politics has gone. Today young people are not interested of
politics propagated by Jamir," Shurhozelie asserted.
Addressing the meeting, chief minister Neiphiu Rio
highlighted the steps taken by his government. He said
although it is a bye-election it is fight between the NPF
government and the opposition Congress.
Jamir said at his Mokokchung residence that although
it is a bye-election, it has turned into "a fight between a
government and an individual."
Asserting that there is no retirement in politics, Jamir
said he had a "mission and commitment" for the Naga people
which had been "morally handicapped at levels" and decided to
re-enter the state politics through the bye-election.
"I stand for a cause, today everything went wrong in the
Naga society and there are deep divisions and no cohesiveness.
So the society needs a transformation," Jamir said, adding "I
hope good sense will prevail upon the people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends