All-party delegation from Manipur to meet PM
Imphal: An all-party delegation from Manipur will on Wednesday meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and other central leaders including Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to discuss the outcome of ongoing peace talks between Naga outfit NSCN-IM and the centre.
According to reports, the decision to send an all-party delegation was taken during a meeting of representatives of the political parties last week.
The decision was taken in light of developments on the ongoing peace talks between NSCN-IM and the central government as the settlement between the two is likely to affect the territorial integrity of the state.
The delegation will also apprise the central leaders to help arrest the NSCN-IM cadre, Livingstone Anal who allegedly molested a Manipuri film actress Momoko on December 18 last year during a musical concert at Chandel district.
Official sources had earlier hinted at the inability to arrest Anal since the NSCN-IM was involved in peace talks with the centre.
Various social organisations in separate statements claimed the state government had the right to arrest Anal since the ceasefire between the centre and NSCN-IM was not in force in Manipur but only in Nagaland.
The organisations said the state government should also impress upon the centre not to disturb territorial integrity of the state while settling issues with the Naga outfit.
The NSCN-IM`s main demand is to form a greater Nagaland by merging all Naga-settled areas of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur with present Nagaland State.
Recent media reports had said that the Centre was trying to bring all Naga-settled areas in region under an administrative body but officials said no final decision was taken on the issue.
Social organisations in Manipur asserted any attempt to disturb the present system of administration in the state would have far reaching consequences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption