Allocation for development of NE states more than doubled
New Delhi: The allocation for development of North Eastern states had more than doubled to Rs 184,000 crore in the XIth Plan period, the Rajya Sabha was informed Thursday.
Replying to supplementaries during Question Hour, Minister for Development of North Eastern Region Paban Singh Ghatowar said allocation for North Eastern states has risen from Rs 81,000 crore in the Xth Plan to Rs 184,000 crore in the XIth Plan ended March 2012.
"Central Government has not sanctioned any special package for overall development of North Eastern Region. However, depending upon requirements and state-specific needs, Central government has taken up various schemes/projects from time to time," he said.
As much as 10 per cent of the budgetary allocation of 52 ministries is to be spent in the region, he said, adding development work has been going on in North Eastern states.
Since North Eastern Region being strategically important, the Centre has taken up road, rail and air projects, he said.
Apart from East West Corridor and several roads under Special Accelerated Road Development Programme-North East in road sector, new railway lines, gauge conversion and doubling projects have been taken up, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read