AMVDFA calls for indefinite general strike in Manipur
Imphal: The All Manipur Village Defence Force Association (AMVDFA) has called for an indefinite general strike in the state from Tuesday to demand increment in their salaries.
VDF personnel were appointed by the state authorities to protect the villages and were also helping the police in traffic management, official sources said.
The appointment was done on contract basis and they have been told on various occasions that their pay could not be increased, sources said.
The association is demanding an increment in their pay which is Rs 3000 per month at present, a statement by AMVDFA said.
The general strike would be enforced in all districts of the state, it said.
It appealed to various organisations, including students organisations, to support their stir.
Sources said all possible steps would be taken to prevent any untoward incident during the strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company