Anna urged to support repeal of AFSPA by Irom
Imphal: Anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare has been urged to support the demand for repeal of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act, 1958 by Manipuri social activist Irom Sharmila, who has been on an indefinite fast on the issue for nearly 11 years now.
Hoping that Hazare would visit Imphal to support her struggle, Sharmila, `Iron lady of Manipur` said, the Gandhian could achieve his goal because of the support of the people.
"I will ultimately become triumphant in my struggle as, I believe, God will certainly find ways to fulfill my dreams," the 37-year-old Sharmila, who has been force fed through a nasal drip for a decade by the authorities, told reporters here.
She was sent to a hospital ward yesterday, which has been converted to a jail for her after she was produced before a court that extended her judicial remand for 15 days.
She is produced in court every 15 days for extension of her judicial remand for being force-fed.
She began her fast since November 4, 2000 after Assam Rifles personnel allegedly killed 10 persons in an encounter with militants near the Imphal airport.
Under the provisions of the AFSPA, a non-commissioned officer or of equivalent rank of the security forces could arrest without a warrant and shoot a suspect, even causing death, in a disturbed area, while enjoying legal immunity for their actions.
Official sources said, hundreds of people have been killed in insurgency-related incidents after the enforcement of the AFSPA on September 8, 1980.
They said, over 20 militant outfits including seven major ones operate in Manipur with some fighting for an `independent Manipur`. Manipur merged with the union in 1949.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble