Anna urged to support repeal of AFSPA by Irom
Imphal: Anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare has been urged to support the demand for repeal of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act, 1958 by Manipuri social activist Irom Sharmila, who has been on an indefinite fast on the issue for nearly 11 years now.
Hoping that Hazare would visit Imphal to support her struggle, Sharmila, `Iron lady of Manipur` said, the Gandhian could achieve his goal because of the support of the people.
"I will ultimately become triumphant in my struggle as, I believe, God will certainly find ways to fulfill my dreams," the 37-year-old Sharmila, who has been force fed through a nasal drip for a decade by the authorities, told reporters here.
She was sent to a hospital ward yesterday, which has been converted to a jail for her after she was produced before a court that extended her judicial remand for 15 days.
She is produced in court every 15 days for extension of her judicial remand for being force-fed.
She began her fast since November 4, 2000 after Assam Rifles personnel allegedly killed 10 persons in an encounter with militants near the Imphal airport.
Under the provisions of the AFSPA, a non-commissioned officer or of equivalent rank of the security forces could arrest without a warrant and shoot a suspect, even causing death, in a disturbed area, while enjoying legal immunity for their actions.
Official sources said, hundreds of people have been killed in insurgency-related incidents after the enforcement of the AFSPA on September 8, 1980.
They said, over 20 militant outfits including seven major ones operate in Manipur with some fighting for an `independent Manipur`. Manipur merged with the union in 1949.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees