Another Meghalaya cop sacked for rape
Shillong: The Meghalaya government Wednesday sacked from service a policeman accused of raping two minor sisters, a police official said. He is the second policeman in the state to be axed for rape since August.
"The government has terminated from service Sub-Inspector Nurul Islam from today (Wednesday) because of his involvement in the crime and for absconding after being accused in the crime," Ramachandran Muthu, district police chief of South West Garo Hills, told a news agency.
Islam is the second police officer in Meghalaya to be dismissed from service after sub-inspector S.N. Roy who was sacked last month for being allegedly involved in the gang-rape of a 13-year-old school girl at a city hotel here March 17, 2011.
Islam, who was in charge of the Ampati Police Station, went into a hiding June 2 after escaping from a police quarter at Tura town in the West Garo Hills, police said.
He allegedly raped a 14-year-old girl in the police station March 13. On March 31, he raped the victim`s 17-year-old sister at gunpoint in their house, police said.
The officer had threatened to kill both the girls if they informed anyone, police said.
"He (Islam) is still on the run and we have no specific information about his whereabouts," Muthu said.
At least five policemen, including a deputy superintendent of police and a sub-inspector, were placed under suspension after Islam`s escape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal