Anti-measles campaign starts in Meghalaya
Shillong: The centrally-aided anti-measles
vaccination programme aimed at covering nearly 99 per cent of children in Meghalaya began in four districts Monday.
"We target to reach more than 6,66,000 children in both
rural and urban areas of Meghalaya," the nodal officer for the
anti-measles campaign, Dr M R Basaiawmoit, said.
The districts to be covered are: Khasi, Bhoi, Jaintia Hills and Garo Hills.
Basaiawmoit said the first day`s vaccination suffered
some minor hiccups when some superstitious villages protested
against the campaign.
"We will have to go to such villages and hold talks
with the elders to educate them on the need to have vaccination against measles," Dr Basaiawmoit said.
Meghalaya is ranked below the national average at 58
per cent and even below Mizoram where measles eradication
status stands at 62 per cent, Dr Basaiawmoit said quoting WHO
During the first phase of the anti-measles campaign
conducted by the government last year, about 14 million
children in the country were vaccinated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH