AP Guv for effective border security management
Itanagar: Expressing concern over border security management in the strategic state of Arunachal Pradesh, Governor Gen (Retd) JJ Singh has pitched for a two-pronged strategy.
The strategy includes infrastructure upgradation for residents in border areas and strengthening of security apparatus, both personnel and infrastructure, along the actual boundary.
Addressing a `Conference of Governors’ at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi yesterday, Singh said, “Basic administrative and civic services to residents of border habitations have to be provided at their door steps so that they do not migrate to better developed areas, leaving these strategic centres un-populated", a Raj Bhavan communiqué said today.
"The Centre should also not apply the typical formulae of economic cost-benefit analysis before sanctioning infrastructure development projects for these areas,” the
To stop infiltration across the border, he said, “We need to raise more battalions of border guarding forces like Assam Rifles and substantially increase their presence along
the actual boundary.”
Also, for geographically difficult and challenging areas, we have to expand the successfully tested model of home and hearth battalions like Ladakh Scouts “whose men need little acclimatisation or language support", he said.
"The raising of 1st Battalion of Arunachal Scouts is a right step in this direction. We now have to look at raising more such battalions and also dedicate training centres for
them,” he said.
To check cross-border terrorism, the Governor said it is important that there is increased flow of information and some mechanism is evolved to formalise the existing border trade haats and open viable land-routes to South East Asia like opening of the historic Stilwell road and reviving border trade across Pangsau Pass with Myanmar and across Tawang with Bhutan.
This, he said, would serve as an important component of Look East Policy and go a considerable way in improving the overall economy of the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read