AP: Search on for 25 missing after bridge collapse
Itanagar: Rescuers on Sunday launched fresh
operations to trace 25 people missing after the bridge
collapse over Kameng River at Seppa in East Kameng district.
Tragedy struck the town last evening when six people
died and over 25 missing after the wire rope suspension
bridge collapsed when many people were busy looking for an
edible insect, locally called tari, over the structure.
29 people were rescued yesterday with five in a serious
condition. The injured were admitted to the district hospital.
East Kameng Superintendent of Police Kime Aya said so far
the rescue teams comprising state police, ITBP and CRPF have
failed to trace anybody today.
The exact number of casualty and missing people could not
be ascertained yet, he said.
The district administration has requested the Army
stationed at Tenga in West Kameng district to help in rescue
operation, Aya said, adding they are likely to join the
"Mostly children below 15 years were assembled at the
bridge yesterday reportedly to collect Tari or Gandhi Puk, a
delicacy for the locals, although this is not the season. The
weak bridge collapsed due to over weight," Aya said.
Governor Gen JJ Singh and Chief Minister Jarbom Gamlin
have expressed grief over the "unfortunate" incident.
In a statement from New Delhi, Gamlin said the state
government would constitute a one-man committee to inquire
into the cause of the collapse.
He said as more concrete details emerge, the government
will announce ex-gratia relief to the families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row