AP: Search on for 25 missing after bridge collapse
Itanagar: Rescuers on Sunday launched fresh
operations to trace 25 people missing after the bridge
collapse over Kameng River at Seppa in East Kameng district.
Tragedy struck the town last evening when six people
died and over 25 missing after the wire rope suspension
bridge collapsed when many people were busy looking for an
edible insect, locally called tari, over the structure.
29 people were rescued yesterday with five in a serious
condition. The injured were admitted to the district hospital.
East Kameng Superintendent of Police Kime Aya said so far
the rescue teams comprising state police, ITBP and CRPF have
failed to trace anybody today.
The exact number of casualty and missing people could not
be ascertained yet, he said.
The district administration has requested the Army
stationed at Tenga in West Kameng district to help in rescue
operation, Aya said, adding they are likely to join the
"Mostly children below 15 years were assembled at the
bridge yesterday reportedly to collect Tari or Gandhi Puk, a
delicacy for the locals, although this is not the season. The
weak bridge collapsed due to over weight," Aya said.
Governor Gen JJ Singh and Chief Minister Jarbom Gamlin
have expressed grief over the "unfortunate" incident.
In a statement from New Delhi, Gamlin said the state
government would constitute a one-man committee to inquire
into the cause of the collapse.
He said as more concrete details emerge, the government
will announce ex-gratia relief to the families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack