APATD resolves to oppose Tipaimukh Dam
Aizawl: The Affected People`s Association of Tipaimukh Dam (APATD) on Thursday resolved that it would fight to the end to make the Centre stop the proposed construction of the dam as it would displace a large number of people.
"The authorities must take cognisance to the people`s concern and immediately stop construction of the proposed Tipaimukh dam, else people will fight to the end," said a resolution adopted at a meeting of APATD at Khawpuar.
Lalpekliana, APATD General Secretary, said the height of the proposed dam would be 162.8 metres and it would submerge an estimated area of 31,950 hectares, displacing a large number of people living in the villages of Manipur and Mizoram.
The rich biodiversity in the area would also be destroyed, he said.
APATD president Lalthulien Joute also said that no amount of money could compensate for the loss of land and livelihood to be destroyed by the proposed dam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi