Apolitical forum candidate for LS polls raises statehood call
Darjeeling: The consensual candidate for Darjeeling Dooars United Development Foundation (DDUDF) for 2014 general elections Mahendra P Lama today said he will work towards achieving statehood if elected.
The former Sikkim University vice-chancellor said the demand for a separate state has not been taken up in earnest and vowed to make every possible effort towards fulfilling the "more than 107-year old aspiration of the hills if elected MP."
"We never reached the parliament, in our 67-year history our main agenda was raise for 6-8 times only," Lama told a public rally.
The meeting held under DDUDF banner had leaders of political and apolitical bodies.
Lama said the, "DDUDF has not been formed to pass comment on political parties or to make enemies. We want to move forward for a separate state together."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?