Appoint home minister in Arunachal: Students` body
Itanagar: The All Nyishi Students` Union (ANSU) on Wednesday threatened to call a bandh to demand immediate appointment of home minister and arrest of culprits involved in the recent murder of a student in Arunachal Pradesh.
In a statement, ANSU president Sikka Gapak said a 12-hour capital Itanagar bandh will be called on June 11 if the demands are not fulfilled till then.
The student leader alleged that law and order had deteriorated and crime graph was on rise in the hill state with incidents of murder, dacoit and rape in recent past.
Referring to the gruesome killing of a civil engineering student Bomjen Gapak near Itanagar in May, Gapak lamented that the culprits were still at large.
The union`s other demands include setting up of two additional police stations in Naharlagun and Itanagar, an all-women police station, revamping of security system in Capital Complex by installing CCTV cameras and providing compensation to the families affected by `incursions` from Assam side from Bhalukpong to Dollungmukh.
He said appointment of a home minister of cabinet rank was the need of the hour to correct the situation. Currently, chief minister Nabam Tuki is holding the home portfolio.
"A strong stand with remedial measures is also to be taken along the inter-state boundary where our people are suffering due to numerous incursions from the Assam side," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31