Areas in North Sikkim remain cut off for 4th day
Gangtok: Areas above Mangan and Chungthang in Sikkim`s North District remained cut off for the fourth day on Tuesday with no power or drinking water after flash floods and landslides hit the area last week.
Though Chungthang was spared direct impact of the flash floods and landslides which scarred the hills around it on Saturday and claimed the lives of 21 ITBF and BRO personnel, it was still cut off from the rest of the state.
Around 500 households were affected, Relief Commissioner S B S Bhaduria said.
He said that there was sufficient stock of food in the affected area.
IAF helicopters were flying out the injured and ferrying in doctors and officials, the sources said.
The Power Department restored electricity supply to Toong during the day and was confident of completing the repairs upto Chungthang by Thursday at the latest, the sources said.
The SDM office has arranged power for streetlights with three generators, the sources said.
Households in Chungthang would be provided kerosene to meet lighting requirements at home, they said.
The PHE Department was repairing water supply lines as drinking water was being supplied in tankers, the sources said.
The water supply was expected to be restored in the next few days, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon