Areas in North Sikkim remain cut off for 4th day
Gangtok: Areas above Mangan and Chungthang in Sikkim`s North District remained cut off for the fourth day on Tuesday with no power or drinking water after flash floods and landslides hit the area last week.
Though Chungthang was spared direct impact of the flash floods and landslides which scarred the hills around it on Saturday and claimed the lives of 21 ITBF and BRO personnel, it was still cut off from the rest of the state.
Around 500 households were affected, Relief Commissioner S B S Bhaduria said.
He said that there was sufficient stock of food in the affected area.
IAF helicopters were flying out the injured and ferrying in doctors and officials, the sources said.
The Power Department restored electricity supply to Toong during the day and was confident of completing the repairs upto Chungthang by Thursday at the latest, the sources said.
The SDM office has arranged power for streetlights with three generators, the sources said.
Households in Chungthang would be provided kerosene to meet lighting requirements at home, they said.
The PHE Department was repairing water supply lines as drinking water was being supplied in tankers, the sources said.
The water supply was expected to be restored in the next few days, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory