Areas in North Sikkim remain cut off for 4th day
Gangtok: Areas above Mangan and Chungthang in Sikkim`s North District remained cut off for the fourth day on Tuesday with no power or drinking water after flash floods and landslides hit the area last week.
Though Chungthang was spared direct impact of the flash floods and landslides which scarred the hills around it on Saturday and claimed the lives of 21 ITBF and BRO personnel, it was still cut off from the rest of the state.
Around 500 households were affected, Relief Commissioner S B S Bhaduria said.
He said that there was sufficient stock of food in the affected area.
IAF helicopters were flying out the injured and ferrying in doctors and officials, the sources said.
The Power Department restored electricity supply to Toong during the day and was confident of completing the repairs upto Chungthang by Thursday at the latest, the sources said.
The SDM office has arranged power for streetlights with three generators, the sources said.
Households in Chungthang would be provided kerosene to meet lighting requirements at home, they said.
The PHE Department was repairing water supply lines as drinking water was being supplied in tankers, the sources said.
The water supply was expected to be restored in the next few days, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception