Armed insurgents seen in Mizoram near B`desh border
Aizawl: Armed insurgents dressed in Army camouflage have been sighted in western Mizoram`s Mamit district, which shares border with Bangladesh and Tripura, police said on Monday.
Road construction workers saw the insurgents recently near Muathuam after which the sub-divisional police officer of Kawrthah was sent with armed police to the area.
The workers suspected the insurgents to be Nagas and said that while two of the militants were armed with AK-47 assault rifles, the other two were carrying automatic pistols in their hip holsters.
"All four of them carried identical hunting knives," one of the eye-witnesses told police officials.
Around ten armed insurgents, speaking in Bru dialect, crossed the road near this village on the previous day and the matter was reported to the police by the villagers.
An insurgent known as Iwarifa was reported to have been looking for prospective recruits for the NLFT and the recently-formed Borok National Council of Tripura (BNCT) in nearby Thaidawr and surrounding villages during last week, reports said.
Meanwhile, three non-tribal timber traders, abducted by suspected NLFT and BNCT militants on November 25 night were still in captivity in the jungles near Zopui and Thangnang villages in Bangladesh.
The abductors demanded a ransom of Rs 30 lakh for their release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections