Armed tribal youths arrested in Tripura
Agartala: Even as Union Home Minister P Chidambaram was visiting Mizoram over the Reang refugees repatriation issue, security forces arrested five Reang tribal youths with arms at a refugee camp in northern Tripura, police said here on Thursday.
"During a special operation, the paramilitary Assam Rifles troopers arrested five tribal youths from Naising Para refugee camp in north Tripura on Wednesday night," a police spokesman told reporters here.
The police official said two improvised guns and three revolvers were recovered from the tribal youths, aged between 22 and 28 years, who were inmates of the refugee camp.
Later, the Assam Rifles troopers handed them over to police.
Following ethnic tensions after the killing of a Mizo forest official in Mizoram, over 41,000 Reang tribal refugees - locally called Bru - had taken shelter in six camps in north Tripura`s Kanchanpur sub-division in October 1997.
The Mizoram government occasionally raised allegations that a section of Reang refugees have become involved in terrorism and were trying to create violence in Mizoram, bordering Myanmar and Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Cuteness alert! Meet Deepak Tijori's adorable daughter Samara Tijori – View pics
- Disrupted sleeping habits may cause suicidal thoughts
- US aid to Pakistan shrinks amid mounting frustration over militants
- SC asks Parsvnath to refund home buyers; builder says it can't repay
- Supreme Court admits plea to declare triple talaq illegal; issues notice to Centre