Arms, ammunition seized from NSCN-IM man
Kohima: In a major haul ahead of the state Assembly elections in Nagaland, security forces have seized a huge cache of arms and ammunition from a suspected National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM) man in Kohima.
Personnel of 17 and 19 Assam Rifles seized a huge consignment of highly sophisticated weapons, made in Germany and Austria, from the suspected NSCN-IM man during a joint operation conducted yesterday, an official statement issued by Assam Rifles (North) said.
The seized materials included two AK 56 Rifles, three GSG-5 Rifles, one GSG-5 carbine and five 9mm Glock pistols along with 24 rounds of ammunition and Rs 10,170 in cash.
The statement said that the operation was conducted based on reliable information regarding the illegal shipment of arms and ammunition from Ukhrul to NSCN-IM headquarters at Hebron, Dimapur in a vehicle.
In another development, following the directive of the Election Commission, the Cease Fire Monitoring Group has banned the major three underground groups in Nagaland NSCN Isak-Muivah, NSCN-Khaplang and GPRN/NSCN (NSCN-Khole Kitovi) from moving around with arms and ammunition in the state from tomorrow till February 23, the date for Assembly elections in the state.
Chairman of the Cease Fire Monitoring Group (CFMG), Maj Gen (Rtd) N George has said that all members of the three NSCNs, including identity card holders have been banned from carrying any type of weapons from February 7 to 23 next as per directives issued by the Election Commission.
The CFMG chairman said ban has been imposed to avoid tension that can result in violence thereby disrupting free and fair polls in the state.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5