Arms, ammunition seized from NSCN-IM man
Kohima: In a major haul ahead of the state Assembly elections in Nagaland, security forces have seized a huge cache of arms and ammunition from a suspected National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM) man in Kohima.
Personnel of 17 and 19 Assam Rifles seized a huge consignment of highly sophisticated weapons, made in Germany and Austria, from the suspected NSCN-IM man during a joint operation conducted yesterday, an official statement issued by Assam Rifles (North) said.
The seized materials included two AK 56 Rifles, three GSG-5 Rifles, one GSG-5 carbine and five 9mm Glock pistols along with 24 rounds of ammunition and Rs 10,170 in cash.
The statement said that the operation was conducted based on reliable information regarding the illegal shipment of arms and ammunition from Ukhrul to NSCN-IM headquarters at Hebron, Dimapur in a vehicle.
In another development, following the directive of the Election Commission, the Cease Fire Monitoring Group has banned the major three underground groups in Nagaland NSCN Isak-Muivah, NSCN-Khaplang and GPRN/NSCN (NSCN-Khole Kitovi) from moving around with arms and ammunition in the state from tomorrow till February 23, the date for Assembly elections in the state.
Chairman of the Cease Fire Monitoring Group (CFMG), Maj Gen (Rtd) N George has said that all members of the three NSCNs, including identity card holders have been banned from carrying any type of weapons from February 7 to 23 next as per directives issued by the Election Commission.
The CFMG chairman said ban has been imposed to avoid tension that can result in violence thereby disrupting free and fair polls in the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!