Arms, ammunition seized from NSCN-IM man
Kohima: In a major haul ahead of the state Assembly elections in Nagaland, security forces have seized a huge cache of arms and ammunition from a suspected National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM) man in Kohima.
Personnel of 17 and 19 Assam Rifles seized a huge consignment of highly sophisticated weapons, made in Germany and Austria, from the suspected NSCN-IM man during a joint operation conducted yesterday, an official statement issued by Assam Rifles (North) said.
The seized materials included two AK 56 Rifles, three GSG-5 Rifles, one GSG-5 carbine and five 9mm Glock pistols along with 24 rounds of ammunition and Rs 10,170 in cash.
The statement said that the operation was conducted based on reliable information regarding the illegal shipment of arms and ammunition from Ukhrul to NSCN-IM headquarters at Hebron, Dimapur in a vehicle.
In another development, following the directive of the Election Commission, the Cease Fire Monitoring Group has banned the major three underground groups in Nagaland NSCN Isak-Muivah, NSCN-Khaplang and GPRN/NSCN (NSCN-Khole Kitovi) from moving around with arms and ammunition in the state from tomorrow till February 23, the date for Assembly elections in the state.
Chairman of the Cease Fire Monitoring Group (CFMG), Maj Gen (Rtd) N George has said that all members of the three NSCNs, including identity card holders have been banned from carrying any type of weapons from February 7 to 23 next as per directives issued by the Election Commission.
The CFMG chairman said ban has been imposed to avoid tension that can result in violence thereby disrupting free and fair polls in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in