Arms, ammunition seized from NSCN-IM man
Kohima: In a major haul ahead of the state Assembly elections in Nagaland, security forces have seized a huge cache of arms and ammunition from a suspected National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM) man in Kohima.
Personnel of 17 and 19 Assam Rifles seized a huge consignment of highly sophisticated weapons, made in Germany and Austria, from the suspected NSCN-IM man during a joint operation conducted yesterday, an official statement issued by Assam Rifles (North) said.
The seized materials included two AK 56 Rifles, three GSG-5 Rifles, one GSG-5 carbine and five 9mm Glock pistols along with 24 rounds of ammunition and Rs 10,170 in cash.
The statement said that the operation was conducted based on reliable information regarding the illegal shipment of arms and ammunition from Ukhrul to NSCN-IM headquarters at Hebron, Dimapur in a vehicle.
In another development, following the directive of the Election Commission, the Cease Fire Monitoring Group has banned the major three underground groups in Nagaland NSCN Isak-Muivah, NSCN-Khaplang and GPRN/NSCN (NSCN-Khole Kitovi) from moving around with arms and ammunition in the state from tomorrow till February 23, the date for Assembly elections in the state.
Chairman of the Cease Fire Monitoring Group (CFMG), Maj Gen (Rtd) N George has said that all members of the three NSCNs, including identity card holders have been banned from carrying any type of weapons from February 7 to 23 next as per directives issued by the Election Commission.
The CFMG chairman said ban has been imposed to avoid tension that can result in violence thereby disrupting free and fair polls in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Zaira Wasim controversy: 'Dangal' star's posters burnt in Kashmir valley