Army court`s verdict in Sukna land scam soon
Shillong: An Army court martial trying former 33 Corps Commander Lt Gen PK Rath on charges of fraud in the Sukna land scam is in its final stages and is expected to pronounce its verdict in the case anytime soon.
"The case is in its final stages of hearing by the court martial and the judgment is expected anytime soon," an officer in the army`s legal department said here Tuesday.
The court martial is being held since September last, and was convened with Lt Gen IP Singh as the presiding officer following the army`s decision early last year to try PK Rath in the case.
Apart from Rath, former Military Secretary Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash too will face a court martial soon in the case.
Rath had in October last year approached the Delhi bench of the Armed Forces Tribunal seeking to quash the charges against him in the Sukna court martial, but his plea was rejected.
The land scam came into the open in mid-2008 and the names of Avadesh Prakash and PK Rath figured among the senior army officers who influenced the decision to issue the no-objection certificate (NOC) to a Siliguri-based private builder to construct an educational institution on a 70-acre land adjacent to the Sukna military station in West Bengal.
Others to be named in the case include Lt. Gen. Ramesh Halgali, who was Rath`s chief of staff and later went on to become Jalandhar-based 11 Corps commander in Punjab and Director General of Military Training in the army headquarters, and Maj. Gen PK Sen, who was the administration officer in the military station at the time the NOC was issued.
The army had ordered a court of inquiry into the Sukna land scam in late 2008, following which former army chief General Deepak Kapoor decided to take minor administrative action as punishment to these officers in early 2009.
However, on the advice of Defence Minister AK Antony, Kapoor had to order disciplinary action against Rath and Prakash, which entailed their court martial.
Also, Rath`s appointment as the army`s Deputy Chief was cancelled by the defence ministry following the army inquiry in the Sukna land scam.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents